More

Torquay Golf Club

Course Status

Course open, trolleys and buggies permitted. Updated: 13th Jun 2024

The Clubhouse

In 1909, Torquay Golf Course Company Limited was incorporated and a large piece of land was purchased by the syndicate. The professional of the Links at Westward Ho! was instructed to layout the new course.

On 20th May 1911, the new club house was opened, which had been built for about £2,000 and had the appearance of a cricket pavilion. The opening was celebrated with an exhibition match over 18 holes between two top golf professionals, Harry Vardon and J.H. Taylor.


To obtain the services of Harry Vardon and J.H. Taylor at that period of time was a superb effort. Harry Vardon had already won 'The Open Championship' on four occasions and he went on to win again 2 months after opening Torquay Golf Club in July 1911. Harry Vardon still holds the record of Open Championship titles in: 1896, 1898, 1899, 1903, 1911 and 1914. 

The Other professional of the opening day match, J.H. Taylor, was no stranger to golf himself, winning 'The Open' on 5 occasions, being: 1894, 1895, 1900, 1909 and 1913.

During the First World War the course was occupied as a dispersal depot by the New Zealand Forces and, on their return to New Zealand, the course was altered under the direction of James Braid.





Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2.